Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone, may you find a millions things to be thankful for this year. We here at E. Frank Hopkins Seafood are grateful & thankful for your business!!!
2) Black Friday is looked at as a gigantic day for retailers but the majority of brick & mortar shoppers will dine out while shopping. The NRF is forecasting a 3.7% increase in sales this holiday season because of lower gas prices & rising employment.
3) Seafood is the ultimate Center of the Plate item that offers the perfect opportunity to tell the customer a story about the fish. The story should be brief but entertaining & informative, it can include details about freshness, origin, how it was harvested, health benefits & uniqueness of that particular specie. Obviously well trained staff members are a must in selling these higher margin dishes but they are also something a customer will brag about to their friends & on social media.
4) Locally Harvested Species-Swordfish, Albacore Tuna, Mako Shark, Sea Scallops, Fluke/Flounder, Black Bass, Striped Bass, Bluefish, Monkfish, Skate, Porgies, Squid, Clams & Oysters. Please note that these are wild caught so availability will vary day to day.
5) Crabmeat-we have plenty of our pasteurized Indonesian Bay Colony in stock from Colossal down to Claw & our Vietnamese VIP from Colossal down to Lump. Also our container of boxed, frozen tray packed VIP has come in containing Colossal, Jumbo Lump, Super Lump & Lump all are packed 24/1 lbs & are bar coded.
6) Prices of fresh Norwegian Salmon are expected to increase because of increased holiday demand, especially in Europe. Remember a lot of these fish are used for smoking because of their high fat content. Global farmers elsewhere are also trying to take their prices up on a traditionally slow seafood week.
7) Supplies of Asian White Shrimp & Black Tigers are meeting current demand, prices have remained steady. We just received our Bay Colony container containing EZ Peels & RPD Tail-on product with SUPC bar codes. On the wild side, prices paid to the boats for replacement product has moved higher.
8) Frozen Sashimi Grade Tuna prices remain an excellent value. We have our Bay Colony Tuna available in Center Cut Loins, Saku Blocks as well as 4, 6, 8 & 10 oz Steaks.
9) The Florida Stone Crab Claw season has been very good so far. Supplies are plentiful due to the warmer weather therefore prices are very attractive. Stone Crab Claws are always sold cooked, they must be cooked immediately after being harvested to prevent the meat from sticking to the shell.
10) Fresh Halibuts from Norway are coming in but due to yield & freight costs prices are up. It was reported that sellers are getting resistance from buyers in the industry.
11) Mahi Mahi is being consistently offered, quality & prices are excellent!!! Domestic Red Snappers have seemed to dry up so we are bringing in some from Trinidad, freshness is excellent just be aware as the meat is whiter, closer to that of a Lane Snapper.
V.P. Sales & Marketing
E.Frank Hopkins Co.,Inc.